Procurement FAQs

  • Invitation to Bid (IFB): An IFB is a procurement method used to solicit competitive sealed bid responses, sometimes called a formal bid, and price is typically the basis for award although the bidder is required to be responsive and responsible.
  • Request for Proposal (RFP): An RFP is a procurement method used to solicit proposals from potential providers (proposers) for goods and services for the best value. Price is usually not a primary evaluation factor. Proposals are scored and may include experience, approach to the project, similar projects the vendor has provided, etc. May include short-listing the respondents for presentations, provides for the negotiation of all terms, including price, prior to contract award and Best and Final offers.
  • Request for Qualifications (RFQ): An RFQ is a procurement method used to solicit for qualifications only and is typically used for Architectural, Engineering Services as well as Developers. The respondent will typically come in with a team of professionals to cover all the needs of the request for Qualification documents. Respondents are in most cases shortlisted which may include presentations. Once a respondent is selected the cost of the contract along with term/conditions are negotiated. If terms cannot be met with the top ranked respondent, you go to the next highest ranked and so forth.
  • No, the Housing Authority of the City of Fort Myers (HACFM) and the City of Fort Myers are separate entities with its own vendors and vendor list.
  • HACFM is federally funded and follows HUD rules for procurement.

Vendors need to continually check for addendums which are posted to the website under Business Opportunities.

Vendors that provide services for HACFM are required to carry Insurance. Bonds are required for projects $100,000 or more.
Vendors must submit all documents as required by an IFB/RFP/RFQ to be a responsive bidder. HACFM shall take reasonable steps to determine whether any vendor, contractor or consultant is or has been excluded or disqualified from participating in such transaction. Prior to awarding any bid, the vendor is vetted to ensure that they are a responsible responsive bidder.

Contact Procurement by emailing Laurie Victory @

A Best and Final Offer (BAFO) A process requested from one proposer or short-listed proposers for their best price(s) for a specific solicitation prior to determining of contract award. Sometimes referred to as BAFO and utilized during the Request for Proposals method of procurement.

Davis-Bacon Act (DBA) applies when there are Construction and/or Maintenance Contracts in the amount of $2,000 or more. This includes the construction, alteration, and/or repair (including painting or decorating) of public buildings or public works. For additional information regarding the Davis Bacon Act please visit the following websites.

Informational Website: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/government-contracts/construction

Wage Determination Website: https://beta.sam.gov/search?index=wd

Vendor Registration & Vendor Portal 

Vendor Portal: Vendors who are actively providing goods and/or services to HACFM will be able to register and update their vendor profile as necessary to ensure that their profile reflects current information for both Procurement and Accounts Payable.

New Vendor Registration: New Vendors who have not done business with HACFM and wish to compete for contracts please register your company by filling out a Vendor Application and submitting to .

All invoices are to be submitted electronically to accounts payable . Payments are processed bi-weekly paid through ACH. This means that the payment to the vendor is deposited directly into the vendors bank account. We plan on migrating the invoice processing through the vendor portal in the near future.

Not having a Purchase Order and/or contract issued by HACFM, in addition to detailed invoicing or properly describing goods and/or services provided.

HACFM seeks to comply with the HUD requirement to maximize Section 3 participation on all contracts including professional service contracts.

It is a means by which HUD fosters local economic development, neighborhood economic improvement, and individual self-sufficiency. Section 3 is the legal basis for providing jobs for residents and awarding contracts to businesses in areas receiving certain types of HUD financial assistance.

For more information, please visit the following websites:


HACFM Section 3

This program provides an opportunity for Minority/Women Owned/Veteran Owned Businesses to compete and potentially be awarded contracts to provide materials, services, and equipment for the Housing Authority. Minority/Women Owned/Veteran Owned Businesses are encouraged to certify with the State of FL Office of Supplier Diversity. HACFM is encouraging all minority businesses and Women owned businesses to seek this certificate through the State of Florida and submit their proposals and/or responses.

For additional information please visit the following website:


State of FL Office of Supplier Diversity

Housing Choice Voucher Program FAQs

Applicants & the Wait List

We will advertise in the local newspaper informing the public when the Housing Choice Voucher Program waiting list application process will open.  We will also post the information on this website on the Housing Choice Voucher Program page.

Due to the demand for affordable housing, specifically federally subsidized rental programs, HACFM like other housing authorities, maintains a waiting list.  With the high volume of people needing housing assistance and limited resources, HACFM periodically re-opens its waiting list for new applications. Applying does not guarantee that housing will be offered.

Families in subsidized rental housing programs, such as the Housing Choice Voucher Program remain in the program if they adhere to program rules and regulations.  We generally have a small turnover of housing vouchers on an annual basis and expect to offer vouchers to a small percentage of applicants who apply.  We allow the opportunity for anyone to apply, however; it does not guarantee that housing voucher will be provided.  To ensure we can maintain our federal obligations to HUD for the number of families being assisted, we must keep a waiting list of families to be assisted should the opportunity become available.

No! The application is available in English and Spanish.
Applications are sorted first by Local Preference, and then by time and date of application.

t is very important to notify your Housing Specialist of any changes that occur in your household.  You risk the chance of not being in the program if your information is not current at time of selection.

No, you do not have to be a citizen; however, you must have eligible immigration status and/or a legal citizen within your household.

Below are some of the reasons that would prevent you from being accepted in the program.  A detailed list will be provided at appointment if selected.

  • A failed criminal background screening
  • Previous evictions
  • Being over income
  • Failure to appear for scheduled appointments
  • Failure to provide the necessary documents to determine eligibility

Income guidelines are established by HUD and are updated annually.  The most recent HUD Income limits are the basis of eligibility and can be provided upon request.


You must inform your initial/originating housing office of your decision to transfer your housing voucher to our jurisdiction.  You will need to inform your housing office that our jurisdiction will not absorb your housing voucher and provide them the most current payment standards, please contact our office at 239-344-3220 or visit our contact us page.

If your transfer is approved, your housing office must mail your portability packet to our office at HACFM, 4224 Renaissance Preserve Way, Fort Myers, FL 33916, attention Portability.  Paperwork can also be faxed to 239-344-3268.

HACFM is currently absorbing vouchers, however the status of accepting vouchers can change at any day and time.

The following is a list of the some of the documents that you should bring to your portability briefing appointment.  A checklist of all the documents that will be required will be mailed to you with your appointment letter.

  • Proof of all income for the household
  • Birth Certificates for all members of the household
  • Social Security Cards for all members of the household
  • Photo identification cards/Driver’s License for all members of the household 18 years old and older

If this is your initial inspection, once we are in receipt of your Pink Packet – Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) and the landlord has been processed into our system, an inspection will be scheduled with your prospective landlord.  You are not to be present at this inspection.  You are to contact your prospective landlord for the status of the inspection.  If this is your annual inspection, you will receive a letter from the Inspections Department indicating the inspection date.  It is your responsibility to notify our office if you are not going to be available for your scheduled inspection.  If you miss your first missed inspection, we will automatically mail you another appointment.  If you miss a second inspection, you will be subject to termination of assistance.

Any changes in your household must be reported within ten (10) business days to your Housing Specialist. You must provide supporting documentation of your specific change.

If you believe that your Housing Voucher should not be terminated, you have ten (10) business days from date of letter to respond in writing with your request for an informal hearing.

Yes, it is mailed out with a list of required items to sign and return. Or you can upload your documents to the tenant portal to complete your recertification. If lost, simply contact your Housing Specialist immediately to request a new packet. 

Income guidelines are established by HUD and are updated annually.  See your Housing Specialist for the most recent income guidelines based on your household size.

If you need copies of documents in your file, you must request it in writing.  Your request will be processed at a charge of $.15 per page.


The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federal rental subsidy which assists participants in the program with monthly rental payments. The program ensures that the families have a safe, decent and sanitary place to live.  The HACFM administers funds received from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and distributes them in the form of Housing Assistance Payments to eligible landlords.  A Housing Choice Voucher allows participating families (tenants) to rent housing that meets their needs.  The tenant pays a portion of the rent directly to the landlord.  HACFM through the HCVP pays the landlord the difference between the tenant’s portion of the rent and the total rental amount.

HACFM does not maintain an available housing listing. We partner with GoSection8 who maintains all data. Please go to www.gosection8.com to register and list your available unit.

As a HCVP landlord, you will be responsible for the following:

  • Screening your future tenants.
  • Complying with all fair housing laws.
  • Making all repairs that are not tenant caused in a timely manner and making sure that these repairs meet the Housing Quality Standards. 
  • Complying with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP). 
  • Collecting the rent due by the tenant.
  • Enforcing the terms of your lease with the tenant.
As a participating landlord you should check the local rental market to determine a reasonable amount of rent for your property. All rental amounts are subject to approval in accordance with HUD Regulations that mandate Rent Reasonableness.

Once you have selected a current voucher holder as a tenant you must complete the Pink Packet – Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) packet for the prospective tenant.  Either prospective owner or participant can return the Pink Packet/RFTA. When the RFTA is reviewed, the Inspections Department will contact you to schedule an inspection of the property.  Please be aware that only the landlord must be present for this inspection.  Once the unit passes inspection and the proposed rental amount is approved, you are to notify your prospective tenant and execute the lease.  You will also have to sign a Housing Assistance Payment Contract (HAP) with our office.  If the property or unit does not pass inspection, we will allow up to ten (10) business days for correction of the repair(s).  A re-inspection of the property/unit will be required to confirm that the corrections have been completed.  Tenants are on a deadline to find housing before they risk losing their Housing Choice Voucher, so repairs must be made in a timely manner.

The tenant will pay between 30% and 40% of their monthly adjusted income and depends on the following factors:

  • Participant’s income
  • Deductions to which the participant is entitled to under the program
  • Number of members in the household
  • Housing Choice Voucher size
  • The applicable amount in the Payment Standards
  • The utility allowance participant is entitled to in the rental unit

The HACFM cannot begin paying until after the unit passes inspection.  Once the unit passes inspection, we will process the file and generate a Housing Assistance Payment Contract (HAP) which will require signature.  When we received the signed HAP and a copy of the signed lease, we will process the payment.

At contract renewal, landlords will be given the opportunity to request a rent increase.  Requests must be made sixty (60) days prior to the start of the new lease/renewal. Each landlord must provide HACFM and Tenant with a copy of the notice of rental increase. Requests will be reviewed and approved by management on a case by case basis.  If additional documentation or information is needed, it will be requested.  Landlords will be notified if their rental increase is either approved or denied.

As the owner of the rental property, you are entitled to charge security deposit.  You cannot charge a HCVP tenant any more than you would charge a tenant that is not on the program.  As a participating owner you would follow Florida State Laws regarding imposing a claim against the security deposit received.

Community Supportive Services FAQs

To focus on its strategic plan outlined for 2019-2022.

  • Strengthen Our Community – Assess Resident Needs, Analyze Service Gaps, Track Outcomes
  • Enhance Resident Services – Develop a robust resident services program designed to interrupt generational poverty.
  • Develop enduring collaborative solutions – Facilitate regional conversations, develop relationships, and secure partnership agreements.
  • Financial Independence & Sustainability – Work towards financial independent from HUD through creative funding projects.
  • Increase Internal Staff Capacity – Maximize our HACFM staff’s potential, performance, and outcomes as a foundation for overall agency success.
  • Computer Training/Lab
  • Employability Skills
  • Resume Writing
  • Computer Lab Job Search
  • Section 3 Employment
  • Adult Basic Literacy Training – Referral
  • ESOL Classes – Referral
  • Typing Tutorial
  • G.E.D. Self-Pace Program
  • Community Service
  • Life Skills Education – Family Self-Sufficiency
  • Financial Literacy Education
  • Career Path Education
  • HUD Certified Housing Counseling
  • Home Buyer Education
  • Pre/Post Purchase Counseling
  • Foreclosure Prevention
  • Loss Mitigation
  • Money & Debt Management
  • Renters Assistance Program
  • One-on-one Counseling/Mentoring with Case Manager
  • Education & G.E.D. Completion
  • Literacy Training
  • Career Services
  • Community Resources
  • Networking
  • Self-Sufficiency
  • Homeownership
  • Complete Community Service Hours
  • To participate in grant funded programs such as FSS, ROSS, HOV, and Jobs Plus, you must be a resident of public housing or a Housing Choice Voucher recipient.
  • Non-Residents can utilize the CSS Computer Lab to apply for Food Stamps, Medicaid, Medicare enroll in financial literacy, housing counseling and homebuyer’s education classes, referrals, etc.
  • For more information about the programs, services and resources offered through the Community Supportive Services (CSS) Department please call 239-332-3825.